Ways to Prevent Pedestrian Accidents

Pedestrian accidents can happen almost anywhere. Whether you are walking along a busy road or spending time with your family on the front lawn, there is always a risk of being hit by a negligent driver. If you ever suffer an injury due to a pedestrian accident, make sure you hire an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer to represent you.

While there is no way to prevent a driver from being negligent, there are certain steps you can take to increase your safety. As a pedestrian, there are a few ways you can protect yourself from a potential accident, which include:

  • Using designated crosswalks: Jaywalking is one of the most common reasons for serious pedestrian accidents, so use a designated crosswalk whenever possible.
  • Waiting to cross until signaled: Since most intersections are designed to control the flow of both vehicular and pedestrian traffic, you must cross the street only when you see the “walk” symbol.
  • Looking both ways before crossing: Even if you are being signaled to cross the street, you should always check both directions of traffic in case a driver decides to run a red light or make an aggressive turn.
  • Making sure you are visible to drivers: If you are exiting a building or crossing the street after getting off the bus, be sure to stay visible to drivers so they can see you coming ahead of time.
  • Wearing reflective clothing when walking at night: Most fatal pedestrian accidents happen at night due to low visibility, so make sure that you walk in a lit area of the sidewalk or wear noticeable clothing.
  • Keeping your distance from cars backing out of a driveway: Many drivers may not check their blind spots when they back out of their driveway, so make sure to wait or stand back.

By following these tips, you can significantly reduce your chances of being hit by a distracted, aggressive, or negligent driver.

If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident and need help managing your claim, please search our directory for a qualified personal injury attorney in your state.