Bicycle accidents often result in permanent and life changing injuries. Many bicycle accident victims do not realize that compensation is available. Even if you were injured in a single vehicle bicycle accident or were the victim of hit and run, you should talk to a skilled and experienced bicycle accident attorney to find out about potential compensation.
Do You Need a Bicycle Accident Lawyer?
If you were injured in a collisions with a car, you may assume that the driver will be found at fault and that you will be able to collect compensation with a simple insurance claim. Unfortunately, it is rarely that simple. The insurance companies fight hard to avoid paying or to pay far less than you deserve.
If you were injured in a hit and run accident, a bicycle accident lawyer can help you pursue every avenue of compensation. There may be insurance coverage available to you even if we cannot locate the driver.
In single vehicle and hit and run bicycle accidents there are often factors such as defective bicycle or parts or roadway defects that can open up avenues of compensation for your injuries in accidents where victims are often under the impression that no compensation is available.
Causes of Bicycle Accidents
When bicycle and cars collide, negligence on the part of the driver is often to blame. A driver can also cause a bicyclist to crash while performing evasive maneuvers, without a collision with the car. Common forms of driver negligence and wrongdoing which lead to bicycle accidents include:
- Drivers who violate bicyclists’ right of way
- Distracted drivers
- Drivers who do not know the rules of the road regarding bicycles
- Drivers who choose not to share the road
- Drivers who fail to signal when turning or pulling out from the curb
- Drivers who open their car door into the path of a bicyclist
- Unsafe passing of a bicyclist
- Intoxicated drivers
Other common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Defective bicycle or parts
- Defective motor vehicle
- Improperly marked or poorly designed bike paths and bike lanes
- Other roadway defects, such as potholes, malfunctioning traffic signals, or faulty streetlights
Compensation in Bicycle Accident Claims
Bicycle accident injuries are often severe and can be life-altering. Adequate compensation is compensation that will pay for all of the costs of your injuries, even if those costs are ongoing for the rest of your life. You may be able to recover for economic noneconomic damages including:
- Medical expenses and future medical expenses
- Home health care and custodial care
- Lost income, future lost income, and lost earning capacity
- Physical and mental pain and suffering
- Diminished quality of life
To find a highly credentialed bicycle accident attorney in your area, please contact us today.